[dct] Getting the Debian Collaboration Team started again

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon May 14 15:40:46 BST 2007

On 14/05/07 at 04:56 -0300, Marcela Tiznado wrote:
> >  (B) The package is actually being used by many Ubuntu users. Ubuntu now
> >      has a working popcon.ubuntu.com, so this is quite easy to verify.
>
> I think if there are some people using it in Ubuntu, it's a good reason to get
> it included in Debian.

No, it isn't, not necessarily: the Ubuntu users could use X because they
haven't found out yet that Y is a better alternative. Or maybe they just
installed it a long time ago, used it once, and forgot about it.

> Filling a RFP on Debian BTS would be enough for finding someone interested in
> maintaining the package...I think it's also a good idea to add extra info taken
> from Ubuntu packages (like debian/control, missing man pages, etc), so it's
> easier for the maintainer to start with that package.

Currently, there are 335 open RFPs (see
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/requested). Filing RFPs is not going to
magically make maintainers appear.

> >  (C) There isn't another package in the archive doing basically the same
> >      thing.
> >
> > A few weeks ago, after a discussion about REVU, I started to wonder if
> > all the manpower put into getting new packages in Ubuntu was really
> > necessary. So I looked at the popcon score for universe packages that
> > were not in Debian. And basically, there wasn't a lot of packages that
> > were really used by Ubuntu users, once you exclude the packages that
> > cannot be in Debian for legal reasons. I didn't publish the results
> > because they were a bit depressing, but I could work on that again.
>
> Would be nice to have that sad information available... I am also
> interested on the scripts showing how you got to that info.

http://people.debian.org/~lucas/ubuntu-popcon-notindebian/
and
http://people.debian.org/~lucas/ubuntu-popcon-notindebian/by-inst-universe-notindebian.txt
for popcon results for packages in gutsy/universe but not in
debian/{main,contrib,non-free}.

> > About the number of 4000 packages in Ubuntu but not in Debian, don't
> > forget that many packages get removed from Debian, and that Ubuntu is
> > often slow at removing those (RC buggy or useless) packages.
>
> Can we have the script where you compare Debian vs Ubuntu repos? Cause I
> made one myself and got completely different numbers

which script ? (or: the script which produced which output ?)

Lucas