[dct] DCT status update

Raphael Hertzog raphael at ouaza.com
Wed Aug 16 13:52:07 BST 2006

Hi,

Le samedi 29 juillet 2006, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> Hi all, and welcome on this mailing list !
>
> Jeremie Corbier and I did some work on the DCT recently. Here is the
> current status :

Great!

> = Bzr repository =
> There's now a bzr repository for the team, which will be central in
> our workflow. There are details on how to check it out and use it on
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DCT/Workflow

I quickly explained the usertags.

> Several scripts have been written:
> * a script to generate the list of packages to care for. It currently
>   generates it based on the Maintainer field, but can be easily
>   extended to add packages determined by other means. This resides in
>   the packagelist/ dir.
>   Open question here: should we care for packages where the DD is
>   listed as Uploaders: too, or only Maintainer: ?

You can start with "Maintainer" only. Then you'll add "Uploaders" if you
have not enough work. :)

Being "only" uploader means that the maintainer may have to
discuss something with other before applyin the Ubuntu patch, however team
maintainer packages are usually quite open and problems are more
frequent with people who are possessive with their packages... which isn't
the case of maintainers participating in DCT. :)

> * a script (make-html) to generate an HTML page listing the status for
>   the packages we have to care for. An example output is visible on
>   http://tiber.tauware.de/~lucas/dct/status-example.html (this page is
>   NOT updated automatically. You have to generate it locally. Read the
>   make-html script for details.) make-html probably needs to be
>   improved a bit, but its current status is enough to start working.

Why not updating automatically?

> = How are we going to work ? =
>
> We will write a changelog for each package, listing more information
> about the divergence in those packages, bugs that were filed in Debian,
> etc, etc, etc. Those changelogs will reside in the pool/ dir of the bzr
> repository. The make-html script will parse them and extract the
> needed information to display on the web page whether the package
> needs work or not.

Please add me in the list of "Ubuntu-friendly" maintainers that are
cooperating with Ubuntu. My maintainer email is hertzog at debian.org.

> = Other stuff =
>
> * To make it more efficient, we should have a list of "Divergence
>   explanation", which would detail why Ubuntu decided to change X or
>   add Y in the Debian package. I've already written one about Desktop
>   files, but it really needs to be improved since it's not my cup of
>   tea at all. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DCT/DesktopFiles
>
> * I've also started a page listing "FormLetters", i.e example bug
>   reports so we won't rewrite bug reports from scratch all the time.
>   Again, they need peer-review. Please see
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DCT/FormLetters .

No remark here.

> That's all for now, I think. Let's start working together :-)

Let's start indeed!

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com

Freexian : des développeurs Debian au service des entreprises
http://www.freexian.com