OpenOffice dropped from Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04

Savvas Radevic vicedar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 09:22:59 GMT 2010

http://digitizor.com/2010/02/05/openoffice-dropped-from-ubuntu-netbook-edition-10-04/

According to the latest Ubuntu Netbook Remix Blueprint, the Ubuntu
community are planning to drop OpenOffice from the default
installation of Ubuntu Netbook Edition for the upcoming Lucid Lynx
release, atleast for now. Now documents will be opened by default in
Google Docs.

We have previously told you about Gimp being dropped from Ubuntu
Desktop and Ubuntu replacing Google with Yahoo as the default search
engine.

The developers have been removing applications that are irrelevant on
a netbook. While document editing is clearly a not irrelevant on a
netbook, the developers feel that with netbooks being used mostly for
internet related works, Google Docs will suffice.

UNR users flooded the blueprint with requests to keep handy office
tools, at least for documents and spreadsheets:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-une-applications

Decision from feedbacks:
After discussing with rickspencer3: as user feedback has not been good
on removing completely an office suite on UNE, we'll try adding
abiword and gnumeric which are great lightweight tools for docs and
tabular. We will still try to investigate on additional online tools.