Ubuntu-cy reacts to laptop funding pre-installed with Vista for high school students

Savvas Radevic vicedar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:33:17 BST 2009

A late reply, but I think that I should at least document it. So, to those
interested, this was the outcome:

# 2009-02-26: Held two presentations:

>    * St. Neophytos high school (Limassol)
>    * Ministry of Education (Cyprus Government)
>
> # 2009-02-03: Meeting with Alexandros Kofteros (Apoplous, Mathisis.org)
> # 2009-02-10: Ministry of Education requested/accepted a presentation
> # 2009-01-30: General Inspector of the Ministry of Education replied to
> "Why Vista?".

(Taken from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CypriotTeam/TeamReports/200902)

If anyone has done anything to "push" the matter forward in EU, I kindly
thank them.
The result was that at least the benefits and the "other side" of the story
was presented and heard. :)

P.S. We might have another problem in Greece though with the ERT ( national
Greek Radio-Television station www.ert.gr ) and their archiving website:
www.ert-archives.gr
Namely, they are using closed-source (windows media player) type of media
files for archiving the historic background, specifically a part of the
Greek culture (meaning theatrical plays, television, movies, etc.) and are
denying access to Linux users:
- "Δεν υποστηρίζονται λειτουργικά συστήματα Linux/Unix" (Translation: "We do
not support Linux/Unix operating systems"):
http://www.ert-archives.gr/wpasV2/public/u04-usr-tech.aspx
- "Platform not supported" -
http://www.ert-archives.gr/wpasV2/public/p02-view.aspx?titleid=8212&action=mView&mst=00:00:00:00

But that's another story, I'll get back to you in a separate thread as soon
as I gather and have more info on the issue.