No subject

Tue Apr 29 15:47:36 BST 2008

easy to tune, almost like Wordpress:
http://www.movabletype.org/

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Theodotos Andreou <theo at ubuntucy.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> keeping the site down for 1+ days and updating to the most secure
> version of that time)
> phpBB3 as forum software is really easy for installs and upgrades,
> even for modified (addons) forums, you've made a great choice there :)
>

>  by the way phpbb is not great at all cause is in php, but of course that's
> a personal opinion!! :)
> to be honest as soon as i find something in perl, and time i will change
> the forum.
>

>  I wanted to beautify the website a bit, for two reasons:
> 1) I wanted to attract more people through a nice looking website (we
> all know how compiz-fusion attracts users to play with gnu/linux
> software)
> 2) I wanted an easy way to add news, even for simple users, with post
> and publish buttons etc.
> As I said, there's no reason to rush, we still have a long way to go.
>

>  Users, from my experience that they get fascinated from anims,fancy colors
> and thinks like that, in time they are not giving much attention to what
> the community will do. What im trying to say is, ok, lets make the page
> better, but it would be extremely better and wiser in my opinion to
> provide 'juice' and content of how to do things, and make them start
> getting active in the community with one way or another, instead of saying
> nice looking web page!!!
>

>  You can put a voting poll in the forum about designing the website, be
> sure to post the link here as well.
> I will not take any serious actions before knowing the members'
> opinion. As you said, ala debian :)
> I suggest to put two polls: 1) If they want to change the design to
> dynamic php 2) The software cms they would like us to use: joomla,
> wordpress, drupal, or any other suggestions
>

>  Joomla is the worst thing happen after acpi. im sure that we can find
> something much much better or even create one from scratch!! ( now that's
> a good project for the community ,  i know that we can find something
> ready made)
> Now for the voting, someone to vote for something like that must have at
> least some basic knowledge about this kind of things. In my opinion a
> voting will not be a good idea of what to put in the page cause probably
> someone may vote without think about the consequences of his choice or
> without even knowing!!! Im not saying that to offend anyone but that's the
> true, some people are good in somethings that some other people aren't.
>

> Savva when you have time you can do whatever you want with the webpage
> design and things like that. But for the moment lets keep some of the
> things that we use as they are. Proposals for changes and updates are more
> than welcome. : ) if they are feasible of course!!!  And one final thing
> .....people lets get concentrated in a good community project instead of
> thinking that the page is not in the ubuntu colors!!! ;)   lets put
> content in, articles, opinions, ideas, presentations for november, and

A.Vystavkin Personal Weblog: http://j4vk.com

------=_Part_4282_26778095.1211576171607

Grigori I don&#39;t think yet another CMS system is what the community
really needs. There is a load of CMS systems as this list in wikipedia
shows and we could find one to match our needs:<br>
Some of them are based on perl which may relieve you from the security
worries of php.<br>
Regarding Voting... Debian does not allow anyone on vote. Only the well
known contributors and that makes perfect sense. In our case we could
set a minimum karma rating in launchpad and anybody above that be given
the right to vote. Which reminds me that I have a karma of merely 1 and
    <pre>Great, I hope we won&#39;t need any more resources, since transferring
websites is always a painful operation... well, at least for me :)

I could take over the website management somewhere around september /
october, until then I have my exam period, (each month for each exam),
so I have to say no to do that.
For now, I&#39;ll have to stick to handling the mailing list and the wiki
pages organization.

The reason I wanted it on my account was because they have one click
installations, one-click upgrades (especially for wordpress) and
maintaining it would be really quick.
    </pre>
  <pre>Do not worry mate with proper configuration we can have one click updates
too. Also another thing that we must have in mind, for example lets say
that we update phpbb for example and the php version that is running on
that server is vulnerable then......from the Poli i come and Cinnamon on
the top!!!

  </pre>
    <pre>Honestly, I don&#39;t really care who maintains the website or which one
is the server, as long as they know what they&#39;re doing and keep an
updated software, and know how to update quickly &amp; effortlessly (not
keeping the site down for 1+ days and updating to the most secure
version of that time)
phpBB3 as forum software is really easy for installs and upgrades,
even for modified (addons) forums, you&#39;ve made a great choice there :)
    </pre>
  <pre>by the way phpbb is not great at all cause is in php, but of course that&#39;s
a personal opinion!! :)
to be honest as soon as i find something in perl, and time i will change
the forum.

  </pre>
    <pre>I wanted to beautify the website a bit, for two reasons:
1) I wanted to attract more people through a nice looking website (we
all know how compiz-fusion attracts users to play with gnu/linux
software)
2) I wanted an easy way to add news, even for simple users, with post
and publish buttons etc.
As I said, there&#39;s no reason to rush, we still have a long way to go.
    </pre>
  <pre>Users, from my experience that they get fascinated from anims,fancy colors
and thinks like that, in time they are not giving much attention to what
the community will do. What im trying to say is, ok, lets make the page
better, but it would be extremely better and wiser in my opinion to
provide &#39;juice&#39; and content of how to do things, and make them start
getting active in the community with one way or another, instead of saying
nice looking web page!!!

  </pre>
    <pre>You can put a voting poll in the forum about designing the website, be
sure to post the link here as well.
I will not take any serious actions before knowing the members&#39;
opinion. As you said, ala debian :)
I suggest to put two polls: 1) If they want to change the design to
dynamic php 2) The software cms they would like us to use: joomla,
wordpress, drupal, or any other suggestions
    </pre>
  <pre>Joomla is the worst thing happen after acpi. im sure that we can find
something much much better or even create one from scratch!! ( now that&#39;s
a good project for the community ,  i know that we can find something
ready made)
Now for the voting, someone to vote for something like that must have at
least some basic knowledge about this kind of things. In my opinion a
voting will not be a good idea of what to put in the page cause probably
someone may vote without think about the consequences of his choice or
without even knowing!!! Im not saying that to offend anyone but that&#39;s the
true, some people are good in somethings that some other people aren&#39;t.

Savva when you have time you can do whatever you want with the webpage
design and things like that. But for the moment lets keep some of the
things that we use as they are. Proposals for changes and updates are more
than welcome. : ) if they are feasible of course!!!  And one final thing
.....people lets get concentrated in a good community project instead of
thinking that the page is not in the ubuntu colors!!! ;)   lets put
content in, articles, opinions, ideas, presentations for november, and
discussions!!!

cheers!!!! ;)

  </pre>

Ubuntu-cy mailing list<br>