I have realised the problem here

Awjin Ahn awjinahn at gmail.com
Wed May 3 01:00:33 UTC 2017

> After talking with some GNOME users and developers I have realised there's
> a common misunderstanding.
> The goal of the GNOME Shell is to focus on one thing at a time, but
> normally when I have multiple windows or tabs opened all are related with
> the same task at hand. They are simply different stages of the same process.
> 0 -> 0 -> 0 -> 0
> If I want for example produce multiple videos, having all those windows
> open eases me finishing one video at a time, since I can quickly change
> between stages.
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-Minute_Exchange_of_Die)
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_manufacturing)
> So here's the problem: you are confusing finishing things one by one with
> visiting the tools one by one. If you really care about focus you would
> want to make changes between tools as easy as possible.
> Thanks for your attention.

Alberto,

I'm not sure of the context surrounding your question, but what I can offer
is this:

Gnome is customizable to many workflow types. For instance, this extension
-- https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/600/launch-new-instance/ -- lets
you launch many windows of the same app. And this extension --
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/38/windows-alt-tab/ -- modifies the
behavior of alt-tab.

At any rate, it seems the workflow you describe is quite suited to Gnome.
You could dedicate an entire desktop to a video editing task, and when you
alt-tab within that desktop, you'd only be shown the windows dedicated to
that task. If you want to switch to another task, you'd switch to another
desktop (and if you're an emacs user like me, maybe bind super-n to "move
to the desktop below").

Although like I said, I don't know the context, so I might be missing the
mark.

Awjin