Feedback request | Documentation site reorg, switch to Markdown

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 16 13:46:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Stephen M. Webb
<stephen.webb at canonical.com> wrote:
> Switching from a semantic documentation markup to a non-semantic unstructured set of HTML macros that has wretched
> support for anything other than web pages is a net negative gain. Markdown was written by coders for coders so they can
> appear to have something like online documentation.  It's the wrong choice for something like a manual, API docs, or
> pretty much anything more than marketing quips or blog comments.

I'm guessing that the new format will work fine for the Server Guide.

But I'm not sure that it will work as well for the Desktop help which
is a lot more visual and has pictures. For instance, this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/unity-introduction.html
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/shell-introduction.html

How does your proposal handle that Ubuntu (Unity) currently ships the
Desktop help in the yelp Help viewer which is also used by other GNOME
apps?

I suggest that someone let the GNOME docs team know about this proposal.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha