Request for Ubuntu Doc Leadership

Svetlana Belkin belkinsa at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 17 17:49:04 UTC 2016

That might not work so well but that's maybe because i had hard time
running meetings in the past in the doc team.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016, at 01:34 PM, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> May I suggest to divide the meeting
      with the docs team in 3 parts: 1. desktop documentation, 2. server
      guide, 3. community help wiki (30 minutes each). By doing so,
      attendants can decide whether to follow each part or not.

      Btw, I suppose the time in Doodle is UTC?

      Hannie

      Op 16-03-16 om 19:30 schreef David Planella:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Apologies for the delay, which was on my end. We've been
            discussing the topic on our team call and we'd like to
            propose a meeting with the docs team. While the original e-
            mail covers the issue in great detail, and we've got some
            ideas, we'd like to get the doc's team views and come up
            together with a plan moving forward.

>> I'd like to propose some dates for a meeting, to be
            reviewed around the end of the week to pick a date. If you
            are a member of the docs team or if you are interested to
            help, please choose the date(s) that work for you. If you
            are willing to attend and the timezones are an issue, please
            let me know as well, and I can add an extra choice:
>> http://doodle.com/poll/dqsryhnkfwgantb2

            And an initial agenda (feel free to edit):

          Elizabeth K. Joseph <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>>> Hello
            community team,

            We are approaching you on behalf of the Ubuntu
            Documentation team to

            ask for assistance with the issues the team is undergoing.

            The Ubuntu Documentation team maintains the following
            documentation:

            – The desktop documentation at https://help.ubuntu.com/

            – The serverguide at https://help.ubuntu.com/

            – The community help wiki at
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

            We maintain documentation for how this documentation is
            maintained at
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam

            The team is loosely organized in three subteams, each team
            taking care

            of one of the components mentioned above. In each team we
            have only a

            few people that can be considered active; some of those
            only barely.

            The state of all of the components can be described to be
            more or less

            stalled and in desperate the need of more
            contributors. With the

            string freeze for Documentation just a couple weeks away
            (March 17),

            at this point we risk not having updated documentation for
            16.04,

            particularly for the Desktop.

            In the case of the community help wiki, the situation is
            even worse;

            not only has it encountered spam attacks lately (which
            only mean more

            work for the admins, who have been manually applying
            documentation

            "patches" that contributors send to the ubuntu-doc
            mailing list), it

            also has a lot of content that is completely outdated,
            useless and

            unstructured. Due to the spam attacks, most community
            members can't

            currently take any action to improve the situation.

            Following a meeting with the Community Council[0], we
            have begun to

            identify what we feel the team needs, both in the short and
            long term.

            We believe one of the major underlying issues to this
            situation is the

            teams inability to make decisions. The active and not so
            active team

            members all have their own opinion on which tasks are
            sensible to take

            on a certain component. This is especially problematic as
            sometimes we

            have had volunteers signed up to do the work, but the team
            has wanted

            to consider the issue further, ultimately stalling the
            process. When

            most efforts to improve the situation seem to be in
            vain, it is no

            wonder the team is not attracting new contributors either.

            As the Documentation team does not have a leader to steer
            the overall

            direction, there is no way to easily resolve the problem.

            Additionally, for various reasons, nobody from the current

            contributors is willing to step up and take the
            leadership position.

            Our request and recommendation for the community team at
            Canonical is

            to bring some leadership to the team from outside of the
            team.

            Ideally, the person would be a Canonical employee who
            would have part

            of their paid work assigned to working with the
            Documentation team. We

            think the request is fair considering the documentation
            is important

            and useful to many Ubuntu users and thus valuable to
            Canonical.

            We believe that a stable, fresh and adequately objective
            leadership

            could help the team resolve the underlying issues and
            ultimately,

            start growing the contributor base again. As part of and
            in addition

            to leading and guiding the team, the leader could take on
            the

            following tasks:

            – Work as a mediator with the members to resolve
            disagreements, be

            able to reach a consensus and get along with the work

            – Work with other Canonical employees, encouraging them
            to take part

            more in writing documentation, especially with the
            components they are

            working with themself

            – Work with the Canonical IS team to resolve technical
            difficulties

            the community help wiki is experiencing

            We feel their role as a leader on this team would not be
            because they

            work for Canonical, but because they are able to do the
            organizational

            work that is needed. Anyone able and willing to do
            this would be

            welcomed by us and the rest of the Documentation team.
            It's simply

            come to a point on the team today where we are not able
            to fill this

            role with a volunteer contributor.

            We do not think that the recommended arrangement has to
            be permanent

            unconditionally. Building up a team and getting it
            working by itself

            sometimes takes only time. We hope that with the
            leadership, the team

            can build up the contributor base and ultimately, find a
            new leader

            from within. If a leader is nominated, we will happily
            schedule a

            checkup meeting to see how things are going, if there are
            other

            actions that should be taken to grow and build up the team
            and if the

            outside leadership is required any more.

            Finally, we'd be happy to chat with anyone wishing to
            take on this

            role about the history of the team to give them some
            context for how

            we got to where we are. The Documentation team has always
            been quite

            small and has struggled to get contributors, but it was
            with this LTS

            release that we have finally hit a breaking point.

            Sincerely,

            Elizabeth K. Joseph (pleia2) and Pasi Lallinaho (knome)

            []
            http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2016/03/03/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:00

Svetlana Belkin
A.K.A: belkinsa