Another polemic around Ubuntu

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:13:46 UTC 2016

Michael Hall:
 > The developers behind the decision have been open about their
 > intention, which was to create a copy-left license that didn't force
 > itself on code of other licenses the way the GPL does.

The fact is that the moment their code depends upon the kernel, their
license is automatically overridden:

GPLv2:
 > Linking [name of your program] statically or dynamically with other
 > modules is making a combined work based on [name of your program].
 > Thus, the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License
 > cover the whole combination.

Which is not a surprise, as the purpose of the GPL is to warrant all
software to be copy-left.

And even if there was a legal way to work around it, it would be going
against the intention of their developers. Which is the point, respect
for their choice.

Michael Hall:
 > Sun did a lot of good things for free and open source software,
 > there's no reason to suspect their intentions here.

They are not longer Sun:
(http://goo.gl/C3mUyT)

Nathan Haines:

Linus Torvalds (http://goo.gl/tUNk4C):