Bug 1602344 opened against the CoC for more explicit condemnation of harassment

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Wed Jul 13 09:25:30 UTC 2016

Hi Benjamin,

On 13 Jul 2016 10:04 am, "Benjamin Kerensa" <bkerensa at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Who will enforce this? I like the idea of protecting community from
harassment but I think we all know well CoC violations do happen and
perhaps more frequently than we like.

> Realistically who enforces them? So far that hasn't really happened.

Sure it has. You may not have visibility of that as you're not in a
leadership position in the project, but it happens more than your mail
implies.

The code of conduct has been enforced numerous times, often multiple times
a day. We entrust and expect leaders in our community to foster a
respectful space for contribution. When people step outside those
boundaries we let them know. That may involve some time out from
participation & contribution or just a reminder of expectations.

Suggesting that the coc isn't enforced does a disservice to those who do
great work in keeping our communities respectful and safe.

There may be occasions where leaders will let something slide, using their
discretion when another party may be having a 'bad day' but on the whole
the coc has worked effectively. The proposed changes seek to make it
clearer what is and isn't expected.

Cheers,
Al