Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

Zlatan Todoric zlatan at riseup.net
Fri Jan 15 10:58:56 UTC 2016

Dropping debian-devel@ from CC (not relevant for discussion, don't know
for Ubuntu ones)

On 01/15/2016 02:28 AM, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Zlatan Todoric <zlatan at riseup.net> wrote:
>

>> On 01/14/2016 09:11 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
>>> Nearly all compact Linux computers feasible for gaming are sold
>>> exclusively using NVIDIA graphics, and that company is hostile to libre
>>> software.
>>>
>>> So I think it is very important that we support AMD right now on what we
>>> can, and ask manufacturers to include AMD graphics in those products.
>>>

>> You do realize that AMD graphics need proprietary firmware to have
>> proper 3D acceleration without which you probably couldn't run any game
>> at all - so goodbye Libre graphics.
>>
>>> Because of that I have started campaigning for it:
>>> http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/458606248621316073/
>>>

> Uh, excuse me...
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPUOpen
> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/amd-embraces-open-source-to-take-on-nvidias-gameworks/
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-gpuopen-open-source-development,30750.html
>
> It's time we started promoting AMD rather than Nvidia for Linux graphics.

So, you just proved what I said. AMD graphics are not free (if you want
a gameplay, for 2D I think you would be fine but...). They were never
free, aren't free and probably will not be free in near future. They
will still have the closed source driver, they said initially they will
be closed source evolving to open source (why evolving, why just not
open source it an be done with it - shady business...) so until that
happens and Radeon (AMDGPU or whatever they call it in the end) drivers
gets FLOSS, your points are not valid.