Spam is happening again

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 18 20:45:11 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:05 AM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems we cannot have an open wiki system. Either some people enjoy
> spamming when and where it is possible, or there is one particular
> enemy, that really tries hard to destroy our open system.

I think it would be a serious loss to our community to give up all the
drive by contributions we get from random people on the documentation
wiki (http://help.ubuntu.com/community) who find ways they can fix
things up and then go about their lives.

There are many wikis in the world that operate fine without spam, ours
was fine until the end of December. It's just a matter of working to
control it like others have :)

The bigger issue that this spam attack highlighted was that there are
performance problems and a maintenance overhead with maintaining the
current system running on MoinMoin. This has gotten to the point where
teams have stopped using wiki.ubuntu.com and are using other tools or
setting up their own wikis, which is why alternate platforms have been
proposed.