Moving the Ubuntu Wiki to Mediawiki or something else?

Winael vinzjobard at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 16 21:13:54 UTC 2016

Jono,

Le mar. 16 févr. 2016 21:33, Jono Bacon <jono at jonobacon.org> a écrit :

> On 16 February 2016 at 12:28, Winael <vinzjobard at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> Le mar. 16 févr. 2016 20:40, Jono Bacon <jono at jonobacon.org> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hey Everyone,
>>>
>>> While we are focused on the performance issues here I think we should
>>> also consider the user interview. MoinMoin just isn't very intuitive, and I
>>> would argue that MediaWiki isn't all that better.
>>>
>>> When I was at XPRIZE I evaluated a bunch of different wikis and
>>> WikiSpaces came out on top. Now, it is not open source, which may be a
>>> blocker, but it is a great service, externally hosted (so they absolutely
>>> have to have it be responsive), affordable, and provides a really great and
>>> simple user experience.
>>>

>> Well sorry Jono, but I don't think so to use a non opensource software is
>> a good idea, even if the user experience is better.
>>

> Why?
>
> Presuming that we can always get the data out of the service (which we
> can), is delivering a simpler, faster, and sleeker wiki experience worth
> sacrificing because the platform isn't open source?
>

>> We're facing so much criticism about certain part of non-free software on
>> Ubuntu infrastructure. Giving bullets to be shoot to anti-Ubuntu advocate,
>> well, I'm definitely not a player...
>>

> Sure, there will be trolls, but I would argue that serving our users well
> is more important than subduing the trolls. :-)
>

>> I think we could find some great opensource wiki tool allowing users to
>> participate (if wikipedia can do it why we can't ? It's true that moinmoin
>> is just a little bit better than SharePoint wiki that's the worst thing I
>> see.
>>

> Here's the kicker: I haven't yet found an open source wiki that is
> genuinely easy to use. Wikipedia isn't easy to contribute to - it demands
> that people have a lot of upfront knowledge.
>
> If open source is a critical requirement the easiest I have found is
> DokuWiki, but that still isn't anywhere near as simple as WikiSpaces.

I'm an IRL advocate, I'm on the field talking to people, journalist, try to
be as active as I can in my LoCo. Lots of people I talk with have the same
feeling, that year after year we're loosing some great originals
contributors, because Ubuntu loose, time after time, FLOSS soul.

OK we have more and more users, but we fail to transform them to
contributors. Making apps for Ubuntu is not making Ubuntu, as a Community.
LoCos have troubles to find new recruits to replace those who left because
they don't believe in Ubuntu anymore. And it's really hard to keep that
way, and in the same time trying to those who stay saying them that is just
troll and FUD...

What kind of signals could it be to use a non-open source wiki ? A very
strong one against our original base of fans.

So what's the point to have a great user experience wiki, if no one would
contribute ? Because wiki contributors are those who tried to keep the
FLOSS spirit of Ubuntu.

And I really think that those contributors a maybe wikipedia contributors
as well.

We have to stop to be users centric only, and re think with the original
spirit of Ubuntu, if we want to not lose those who stayed.

Cheers

Winael