Moving the Ubuntu Wiki to Mediawiki or something else?

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 16 21:16:24 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Winael <vinzjobard at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Well sorry Jono, but I don't think so to use a non opensource software is a
> good idea, even if the user experience is better.

I agree, I think we learned a very hard lesson with vBulletin on
ubuntuforums.org, which is still somehow limping along. Let's not make
this mistake again :)

We want to make sure we stick with an open source platform that we can
export from if the company goes away, support is dropped, etc.
Preferably a popular one, which is why I lean toward MediaWiki.

It's also important to remember before we get into too many
alternative things threads, the wiki format has historically worked
for us. People use it. People want to use it more. People can't use it
because it's slow, times out all the time and is hard to log into.
Right now we're in a state were teams are setting up alternate wikis
(like Xubuntu using Doku) just to escape the pain that is our current
wiki.ubuntu.com MoinMoin install.