Ubuntu Code of Conduct: omissions and suggestions

José Antonio Rey jose at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 18:49:13 UTC 2016

On 04/07/2016 01:28 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Elizabeth K. Joseph:
>> I'm shocked that you think it's something that's OK to say in our
>> community.
>
> I did not mean to excuse the harasser behaviour. Just to point out that
> frequently the victim has the power to mitigate it, and they will not
> realize that.
>
> For example an important part of turning the harassment around is to
> show straightforward your dissatisfaction about it. Victims usually
> avoid any kind of confrontation, even small, and confuse that with
> politeness.
>
> I should say:
> A stick in time saves nine.

I don't think this is usually how things happen. We are humans. Humans
can get scared, humans can feel threatened. And those two are feeling I
want no one in our community to have.

No, I don't believe they 'frequently have the power to mitigate it'. If
you haven't seen a harassment case go on, the harasser follows you,
tails you, gets everything out of you in order to accomplish its
objective. It may get to a point where you trust no one, and you feel
like speaking up about it may raise more problems. Of course, it is
encouraged to speak up, but as I mentioned, we are humans, and humans
have to deal with feelings. I hope this gives you a bit of an idea of
why "victims choose to be polite".

I do believe this needs to be addressed. It is a matter that can happen
to any and all of us. Even if it has not happened to you, it's better to
be safe than sorry, and to have ways to mitigate it as it happens in the
community (if/when it does).

--
José Antonio Rey