Can we refocus on the issues at hand?

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:26:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:14 PM, Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2015 10:06 AM, "Simos Xenitellis" <simos.lists at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa at ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> The ad hominem attack is strong in you today.
> >
> > An "ad hominem" attack is when you debate someone and call them "fat",
> "bald" or anything disparaging but irrelevant to the discussion.
> > If you call "ad hominem", then in your reply you need to highlight the
> exact issue.
> >

> From Wikipedia:
> An *ad hominem* (Latin <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin> for "to
> the man" or "to the person"[1]
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem#cite_note-1>), short for *argumentum
> ad hominem*, means responding to arguments by attacking a person's
> character, rather than addressing the content of their arguments.
>
> This is exactly what Jorge did because instead of addressing the matter at
> hand he made attacks against my character not addressing the content of the
> argument.
>
> Mind you if you look to the list everyone was upset so no of course he not
> discuss that content but launched into ad hominem.
>
> I even politely sent him a private email and his response there was very
> rude too.

"Ad hominem" is a bit more nuanced than that. See
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem and the listed example.
The reference to you is about the frequent ragequits. Do you consider that
as ad hominen? It is not.
An ad hominem would be if he said you are the guy that puts ice cubes in
the beer.

Simos