Notice of Harassment

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 16 00:07:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jono Bacon:
>>
>> you forwarded this thread to a public mailing list without Randall's
>> permission. Speaking personally, I consider this to be a breach of
>> someone's privacy.
>

> Except in case of mistake, you have to know that emails are copyrighted
> material. And can only be shared with the writer's permission.

No, they are not copyrighted material. They never where, and I doubt
they ever will be, at least in the US.

*Etiquette* suggests you should not share emails received privately. It
is the nice way of behaving. It is something we should expect from
members of a community. But this is out of *respect* for the others.

But in no ways this is enforceable. The moment you send me an email, it
is not yours anymore -- it is *mine*. I can do with it whatever I want:
I can simply bin it; I can share with friends; I can keep it private.
My choice. Not yours.

Of course, if we are discussing, in an email thread, things that are
under a NDA I signed with you, then there are other remedies (court of
law comes to mind). But you cannot claim copyright on something you
write on an email, otherwise.

If you work from the perspective that anything you write in an email is
controlled, solely, by you, you are bound to have some bad moments,
eventually.

The best POV here is: never put in an email what you do not want to
risk becoming public.

Cheers,

..C..

--