JR/KC - Points to Ponder

Charles Profitt ubuntu at cprofitt.com
Wed May 27 02:43:24 UTC 2015

just some notes I have made as I think about a way forward.

Statement to the Community:

GOVERNANCE:
The Ubuntu Community Council (UCC)  believes in making the Ubuntu
community a wonderful place to participate. We strongly support people
treating one another with respect regardless of their differences of
opinion.

The Kubuntu Council, which falls under the Ubuntu Community Council, has
issued a statement that our recent request for Jonathan Riddell to
temporarily step aside from leadership roles in the Ubuntu community. In
it they make the claim that decision was not taken in a fair and
transparent fashion. This raises only one of the three goals in setting
up the governance structures. The goals are:

----
1.  There is a defined process that helps people contribute to decisions
regarding the Ubuntu community and distribution. It should be clear who
is responsible for any given decision, and how others might contribute
to the making of it.

2.  Decisions regarding the Ubuntu distribution and community are taken
in a fair and transparent fashion.

3.  Necessary decisions are actually taken, even when there is no clear
consensus among the community. There is a clear path for the appeal or
escalation of a decision when necessary.
----

The governance process also states that the Ubuntu Community Council
supervises the social structures and community process as well as being
responsible for ensuring that community members follow the Code of
Conduct guidelines.

The Kubuntu Council asked for the Community Council to give them
specifics as to how Jonathan violated the Code of Conduct. This request
was made to the UCC on Thu May 21 12:09:18 UTC. A single member of the
UCC responded to this on Thu May 21 12:43:41 UTC 2015 and stated that a
few of the UCC members were not online and again on Thu May 21 23:07:56
UTC 2015 letting the KC know that due to these people being at
conferences that the UCC might not be able to respond formally until
Monday (25th) or Tuesday (26th).

CODE OF CONDUCT
There are a couple of key points in the Code of Conduct we would like to
draw the communities attention too.

----
The Code of Conduct governs how we behave in public or in private
whenever the project will be judged by our actions.
----
Disagreement is no excuse for poor manners. We work together to resolve
conflict, assume good intentions and do our best to act in an empathic
fashion. We don't allow frustration to turn into a personal attack. A
community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a
productive one.
----
We expect participants in the project to resolve disagreements
constructively. When they cannot, we escalate the matter to structures
with designated leaders to arbitrate and provide clarity and direction.
----
Responsibility for the project starts with the "benevolent dictator",
who delegates specific responsibilities and the corresponding authority
to a series of teams, councils and individuals, starting with the
Community Council ("CC"). That Council or its delegated representative
will arbitrate in any dispute.
----
Leadership is not an award, right, or title; it is a privilege, a
responsibility and a mandate. A leader will only retain their authority
as long as they retain the support of those who delegated that authority
to them.
----
We recognise that the project works better when we trust the teams
closest to a problem to make the decision for the project. If we learn
of a decision that we disagree with, we can engage the relevant team to
find common ground, and failing that, we have a governance structure
that can review the decision. Ultimately, if a decision has been taken
by the people responsible for it, and is supported by the project
governance, it will stand. None of us expects to agree with every
decision, and we value highly the willingness to stand by the project
and help it deliver even on the occasions when we ourselves may prefer a
different route.
----