Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompatible with Ubuntu licence policy

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Tue May 5 03:40:07 UTC 2015

No, we're saying they get the same freedoms as Ubuntu gets. Ubuntu
re-builds Debian's archives from source, we host our own packages from
which we build and distribute our distro. We don't point Ubuntu installs
at Debian's servers for installs and updates, we don't call our archives
Debian or their archives Ubuntu.

Moreover, for non-commercial derivatives Canonical offers free (or
nearly free) use of Ubuntu's archives for the distribution for those
distros. They don't have to do all of their work within Ubuntu. All we
ask is that they don't call it Ubuntu. This works our well for Mint and
Elementary and a number of other derivatives who benefit directly from
Ubuntu's resources.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com