Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompatible with Ubuntu licence policy

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Mon May 4 21:47:56 UTC 2015

On 05/04/2015 02:53 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On 4 May 2015 at 19:25, Michael Hall <mhall119 at ubuntu.com
> <mailto:mhall119 at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 05/04/2015 12:42 PM, Randall Ross  wrote:
>     > In the time it took to write this thread, there could have been several
>     > meetings with Canonical legal and likely a resolution.
>     >

>     Those meetings have already happened, the CC had them. We have been
>     given Canonical's position on the matter and passed that on to those who
>     made the inquiry.
>

> Maybe I missed it, what was the reason that was given for derivatives
> needing to recompile binaries?
>
> Jonathan

Derivatives can either work fully within the archives, in which case
they don't need to do anything, or they can request a license grant from
Canonical to base their derived product off of Ubuntu's archives.

If they don't wish to do either, then they should take the source code
and build their own archives from that, as Ubuntu does with Debian and
CentOS does from Red Hat.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com