Re: Re: Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompatible with Ubuntu licence policy

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Mon May 4 18:41:08 UTC 2015

Categorize this message as:
Never show this again
Here is a response I got from Joshua Gay, Licensing Compliance Manager, FSF
(a friend) regarding this topic:

"The FSF contacted Canonical in July 2013 to share some concerns and to
ask them some questions about the Policy. In February of 2014, the FSF
asked our lawyers at the Software Freedom Law Center to join us in our
discussions with Canonical. Since that time, the FSF, with the help of
SFLC, has been providing feedback to Canonical on new draft revisions to
the Canonical policy document. Canonical delivered to the FSF a proposed
final draft of a new version of their policy document earlier this year.
Canonical has been waiting for final feedback from the FSF before they
publish a new draft of their policy. The FSF will be providing what we
hope is a final round of feedback to Canonical in the coming days. We
assume once they have received our feedback that a new version of the
Policy document will be published shortly thereafter.  After that, the
FSF will publish a short blog post outlining the concerns we had with
the policy published in May 2013, what improvements we believe have been
made with the new policy published by Canonical, as well as whatever
outstanding concerns we might have with that new policy."

This should probably address the concerns anyone had regarding this policy.
We should look towards their respective blogs for an announcement and
more detail in the coming days, weeks or months.

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Charles Profitt <ubuntu at cprofitt.com>
wrote:

> I want to be clear about this.
>
> The CC has dealt with this issue. We did not issue the statement Jonathan
> demanded, but we did issue a statement. Jonathan does not agree with the
> statement, but that does not imply nothing was done. I think we have said
> this previously in this thread, but I hope that clarifies things.
>
> Charles
>
> ---- On Mon, 04 May 2015 09:42:27 -0700 *Randall Ross 
> <randall at ubuntu.com <randall at ubuntu.com>>* wrote ----
>
> In the time it took to write this thread, there could have been several
> meetings with Canonical legal and likely a resolution.
>
> ... This tells me that community processes aren't working, or people
> simply like to pontificate ;)
>
> Since UOS is imminent/now, how about someone on the CC stepping up to
> facilitate a Hangout on two topics:
>
> 1) Community process for raising/resolving legal questions,
> 2) The Jonathan Riddell question/thread.
>

> Cheers,
> Randall.

*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com <http://benjaminkerensa.com>*
*"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu*