Re: Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompatible with Ubuntu licence policy

Rohan Garg rohangarg at ubuntu.com
Mon May 4 14:41:50 UTC 2015

> quote:
> "Any redistribution of modified versions of Ubuntu must be approved,
> certified or provided by Canonical if you are going to associate it with the
> Trademarks. Otherwise you must remove and replace the Trademarks and will
> need to recompile the source code to create your own binaries."
>
> The quote above specifically says trademarks must be removed and the
> binaries recompiled. Can you point me to any claim that binaries not
> containing Ubuntu trademarks would need to be recompiled? From my vantage
> point I would chose to recompile just to ensure that all trademarks were
> removed. I believe CentOS did that very thing.

This is my interpretation of the legalese as well, however, I'm not
entirely clear about what would constitute as trademark infringement
here.

Slightly convoluted example :

Many of the packages have 'ubuntu' in their versions. If those get
shipped in a modified version of Ubuntu, a user might see that in
their package manager and associate the derivative with Ubuntu, which
would constitute as violation of said policy.

Does this mean a derivative has to compile *all* packages while also
removing ubuntu from the package versions?

While I understand the CC is not a legal entity, and cannot offer
legal advice, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this. I most
certainly won't hold this as legal advice FWIW.

Cheers
Rohan Garg