Re: Re: Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompatible with Ubuntu licence policy

Charles Profitt ubuntu at cprofitt.com
Mon May 4 13:43:34 UTC 2015

---- On Mon, 04 May 2015 02:06:46 -0700 Benjamin Kerensa  wrote ----
>Daniel,
>

>On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM, Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
> On 04.05.2015 04:48, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> > Do we have any documentation of what and what not the CC can take on? Or
> > is the list made up on the fly?
> >
> > Why can the CC not take on this very important issue but expects somehow
> > a individual contributor can? To me that makes very little sense and
> > some explanation would be great.
>
> The Community Council oversees community processes and governance in
> general, but is in no position to give legal advise or go to court if
> necessary. That's simply not part of its mission statement and shouldn't
> be in my mind, as almost everybody on the CC is a volunteer in the
> community.
>
> It's very easy for others to demand what "the CC should be doing" when
> it's not your hours spent on the subject.
>

>Does it take hours to send an email on behalf of the CC to Canonical Legal

We have done that.

>and ask what is going on here? Does it take hours to write a short statement like
>
>Jonathan has asked? No it doesn't and this is a very important issue.

Assuming that we believe that Jonathan's claims are accurate it would not take a long time to write a statement, but unlike Jonathan the Community Council likes to ensure we are doing what is best for the community and prefers to research issues. In this particular case I believe Jonathan has made claims that I do not agree with based on my understanding.

Just because the CC did not issue a statement does not mean Jonathan was ignored. It simply means that we did not feel we could make such a statement given the facts we have.

Charles