Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompatible with Ubuntu licence policy

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Mon May 4 12:52:48 UTC 2015

The CC has been talking with multiple people in Canonical, including
legal, for more than a year on this very issue. Any suggestion that we
have not or will not do that is wrong.

We determined that Canonical is acting in the belief that their policy
complies both with the copyright licenses of the packages in the
archives and with common industry practice.

Jonathan was given this response to his inquiry.

It in within the CC's mandate to ensure that everybody in our community,
including Canonical, is acting in good faith, which we have done to the
best of our ability.
Canonical is not claiming to have any rights, or placing any
restrictions, that are not allowed by the software licenses in the
archives. As long as they are not doing that, then there is nothing for
the CC to change or make a statement against.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device