Dialogue and moving forward

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 20 18:01:22 UTC 2015

Paul Sladen wrote:

> The text that Richard appears to have been referencing was written by
> Charles Profitt (and/or others) and posted to the Ubuntu Community
> Team mailing list on 29 June 2015:
>
>   Profitt, Charles (29 June 2015 13:59:11 UTC)
>   "Community Council Statement: Jonathan Riddell"
>   https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2015-May/000568.html
> I hope this is useful, and allows the discussion to proceed easily.

I believe it does.  Thanks for that.

Your post confirms that the content posted by Mr. Rey on the Fridge
originated on that day, which was subsequent to the great many public
discussions on this I'd noted earlier.

This confirmation serves to further clarify the role of the Fridge post
as a response to a wide range of commentary initiated and perpetuated
publicly by others.

Written in a professional tone with sufficient citation, it seems a
reasonable effort to begin to lend a balance to this widespread public
discussion.

Whether it might have been best to avoid having this discussion be made
public is as impossible to answer at this point as it would be to try to
put this genie back in its bottle. It was initiated as a public
discussion, it kept growing with every new blog post and article about
it, and finally a response was posted so that interested parties may at
last be able to hear another perspective on the issue.

Going forward, perhaps the best opportunity here is to recognize the
value of assuming good intentions in others, and expressing good
intentions in ourselves by focusing on the facts of whatever issue may
be at hand in an atmosphere of professionalism and mutual respect.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems