Ubuntu at CLS this weekend

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 16 18:53:50 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

As you may know already, several of us will be attending the Community
Leadership Summit[0] in Portland, OR this weekend. During the
Community Council meeting today[1] I had a chat with David Planella
about some topics that we, as the Ubuntu community, could propose for
the event. Our list has been narrowed down to:

1. Declining participation
2. Community cohesion
3. Barriers related to [the perception of] company-driven control and
development
4. Lack of a new generation of leaders

See the linked meeting logs for more details on each of these.

After CLS, we've found some time Monday afternoon to get together and
chat further on the Ubuntu-specific issues here so we can plan a way
forward and bring topics for discussion to this list (along with notes
from our discussions, of our course!) and beyond.

While these meetings aren't anything close to a panacea, it'll be nice
to get together at talk through some of these things directly in
person.

If you have feedback now on any of these topics and aren't at CLS,
feel free to reply here on list or send an email directly to the
community-council at lists.ubuntu.com (or even to me directly) if you'd
rather something more private. If you don't get your thoughts in order
right away, that's fine too, this is just the beginning.

[0] http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com/
[1] http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/07/16/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:12