Recognising Ubuntu organisations

Stephen Michael Kellat skellat at sdf.org
Thu Sep 11 04:17:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:14:57 +0200
Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> [snip]

At this point I think we need answers to the following questions:

What are we looking to recognize?
Why do we want this particular matter recognized?
When do we want to do such recognition?
Who are we looking to recognize?
Where do we want such recognition to take place/be announced?

After we get past those five we can then hit this:

How shall we carry this out?

Maybe it comes from being on AskUbuntu patrol but it feels like we're starting way too broadly.  Can we nail down what we want to recognize and why?  If we can do that we can perhaps get something ready to start aligned with the Victorious Velociraptor cycle.  Michael from CCT has given a few starts to that but if we could narrow them down perhaps that would be a good move.  Ian has thrown a possibility out there for the third question but I want to hold that in reserve until the first two are nailed down more firmly.  Svetlana has mentioned the notion of getting the flavors involved but that is a separate matter for coordination.  Scott brought up how something similar was done in the past.  Between that and what Ian mentioned about the mechanics of handling such a recognition matter, I do think we have the resources to go beyond what was done in the past though that still is getting ahead early.

>From Michael's initial areas, I'm throwing these out as further refinements:

* Community building
    * Community Council to recognize *buntu-centric events in a league table for size and scope with picayune trophies to be awarded at end of measured period.  This would also encourage registration of events on LoCo Team Portal or another tracker if more appropriate so we can track them more and promote them more.
    * Headlines Counter -- Which parts of the community kept the spectrum of software in the headlines the most over the period measured
    * Trailblazers -- Recognizing new frontiers either geographically, socially, or economically where *buntu has been spread by a group or groups.  Community Council could recognize new OEMs for phones/desktops/laptops, integrators such as Project: Community Computing moving into new countries on the African continent to spread Ubuntu, and other partners who have done "amazing things" as determined by the Council.
* Local activities
    * LoCo Council to give certificates signed by incumbent members to LoCo Teams that are part of ~locoteams-verified declaring their term and recognizing them for meeting the basics for being established appropriately
    * Partnerships -- When LoCo groups partner with an NGO such as the Red Cross, an International Amateur Radio Union national society, or other group provide recognition and encouragement
    * Longevity awards -- LoCo Council to recognize continuing existence of groups and their contributions
* Ubuntu Development
    * Cherish the Upstreams -- Set Time Aside To Thank Debian & Push Patches Upstream
    * Patch Pilot Party -- End of Cycle recognition for those who cleaned the queue and helped move things along
* Ubuntu Support
    * AskUbuntu's recognition structure already exists but could be publicized more within the community at-large
    * Recognize OEMs/integrators/other partners with longevity certificates

These are merely for discussion but we should get something in play by Victorious Velociraptor.

Stephen Michael Kellat
Leader/Point of Contact, Ubuntu Ohio
Member, LoCo Council
Member, Xubuntu Team