Stephen Michael Kellat skellat at sdf.org
Thu Oct 16 17:39:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:31:12 +0200
Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I always meant to follow up on the discussion, so I thought that a
> quick summary would probably best in discussing this some more or
> looking into implementing this.
>
> Status quo: no formal recognition of NGOs/NPOs, etc. yet
>
> Simple proposal:
>  - one member of group gets Ubuntu membership (even if a bit
>    hard to get endorsements from other members)
>  - nice logo for "member of the Ubuntu community", so this
>    can be added to their website, maybe signed certificate
>    can be changed too
>
> Additional idea: Have prizes?
>  - categories: community building, local activities, Ubuntu
>    development, ubuntu support, flavours, can add more...
>  - have Canonical and non-Canonical judges
>  - could give teams media exposure
>  - done before: golden pony awards
>
> Additional idea: let this be a separate institution, not like
> membership
> - let teams apply directly.
>
> Problem: teams/organisations can change and prove themselves unworthy
> afterwards.
>
> Do we have more thoughts on this? Anyone from the LoCo Council or
> Membership boards who would like to help write a proposal?
>
> Have a great day,
>  Daniel
>

> On 09.09.2014 09:58, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Prakash and I just had a conversation after an enquiry of an NGO
> > which was looking to be recognised for their work done as a service
> > provider for schools, hospitals, etc.
> >
> > Unfortunately so far we don't have an elaborate certification
> > programme for NGOs/NPOs yet. There are no "Ubuntu Certified Labs",
> > no "Ubuntu Campus Ambassadors" or "Ubuntu Community Service
> > Partners" or anything of that sort, as we don't have training
> > materials, certification standards or certification boards for
> > activities like this yet.
> >
> > Still, I think it would be fantastic if we could recognise people
> > who, every day, go out there and integrate Ubuntu into the rest of
> > the world.
> >
> > If we don't want to spend a lot of time implementing standards,
> > review procedures and more (which would be quite understandable to
> > me), I could imagine something like this working:
> >
> >  - One member of the group which is looking to be recognised
> >    applies for Ubuntu membership for the team's efforts and points
> >    this out as part of the application.
> >  - Some of these groups might be less involved with other Ubuntu
> >    members, which might things a bit more difficult in terms of
> >    endorsements.
> >  - We design a nice logo for "member of the Ubuntu community" (or
> >    something like that), so they can put this onto their website
> >    and maybe we could even link all these organisations on a page
> >    somewhere?
> >  - Mark's Ubuntu membership certification would probably need slight
> >    changing as well. :-)

> [...]
[snip]

There is a sitting of LoCo Council scheduled for Tuesday at 2000 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.  So that we move this from the mailing list to a more open venue, could a presentation be made to the Council at that time on IRC?  Adding such to the LoCo Council agenda soon would be helpful.  The agenda can be found here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/Agenda

Stephen Michael Kellat
Member, Ubuntu LoCo Council
Leader/Point of Contact, Ubuntu Ohio
Member, Xubuntu Docs/Xubuntu Team