Ubuntu Governance Reboot: Five Proposals

Ian Weisser ian-weisser at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 25 06:19:17 UTC 2014

Thanks to Jono for putting these proposals on the table.

And thanks to Svetlana for starting the thread here and pushing the link
to Jono's blog.

> 1. Create our Governance Mission/Charter

> I think it could be interesting to define a crisp mission statement
> for Ubuntu governance. What is our governance here to do? What are the
> primary areas of opportunity? What are the priorities? What are the
> risks we want to avoid?

I think our governance is just fine...and yet, Jono's right.

These are appropriate questions to revisit, to adjust our organization's
focus over time.

Innovating cultures are willing to question prior assumptions.

> 2. Create an ‘Impact Constitution’

I've read and re-read and re-re-read this and more, and I'll sheepishly
admit that I don't understand it.

It comes across to me as rather like marketing-speak. Ad copy.
There's nothing wrong with ad copy - as long as it's true, and we intend
to keep the commitments we are making. Indeed, then it's something to be
proud of.

I want to believe there's more to the concept than that, so I'll keep
trying....

> 3. Cross-Governance Strategic Meetings

> I think it would be useful to have a monthly, or even quarterly
> meeting that brings together key representatives from each of
> the governance boards with a single specific goal – how do the
> different boards help further each other’s mission.

I think this is worth a solid try for a year or two.
While I think the current governance seems fine, I'm also willing to
experiment around the margins. The cost seems low.
And who knows? Perhaps something beautiful and really cool might result.

> 4. Annual In-Person Governance Summit

Before we get distracted by "how will we pay for this" and "I can't use
my vacation for this", Jono's starting point is right.
In-person meetings are more productive than online meetings.
In-person meetings are much better for developing relationships.

And it is much easier to understand someone's written communication, to
understand their intent, to trust them, and to forgive when they use an
unfortunate phrase or bad example, after spending time with them
in-person.

I agree that _something_ in-person is essential. Maybe an annual summit.
Maybe an UbuCon track. Maybe something else.

I think that we first need consensus that an in-person event(s) is
desirable, then start looking at options that can fit the budget, time,
and other constraints. Personally, I doubt a single global summit is
feasible for many volunteers.

> 5. Optimize our community brand around “innovation”

I can see the Ubuntu Project wanting to be 'Innovative.'
I can see Canonical wanting to challenge everyone else with
'Innovation.'
But should 'Innovative' be the community's identity also?

Coming from my support background, I see lots of users who want Ubuntu
to be 'Stable' and 'Safe'. Ubuntu is that, too.

I think Ubuntu is too big for a single message to every market. We need
to be more sophisticated - the right message for each market. Sometimes
that message is 'innovation,' sometimes it is not.