Developments on Ubuntu Governance (Clearing off the confusions)

Aveem Ashfaq aveemashfaq at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 06:00:15 UTC 2014

Dear people,

With regards to the following message

Message: 3

> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:17:03 +0000
> From: Elfy <ub.untu at btinternet.com>
> To: ubuntu-community-team at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Developments on Ubuntu Governance

> > That is bang on. I guess this discussion has been completed a few days
> > ago. I thought that there was a fair bit of conversation and we moved
> > on because people did not like the direction or were not convinced.
> > There is a big misinterpretation going on by me and the new people
> > entering the mailing list (i guess i am the only newbie at the
> > moment). There should be a mechanism to set expiry to the conversation
> > so that people who propose do not just assume that people walked away
> > and move on. Or, use google plus because this is just confusing.
> >
> This conversation(s) has certainly got me confused - there are 10
> seperate threads on the same subject going on.

It seems that many developers are confused by this. So, the comments might
be a bit confusing, get the true aim and the heading of the discussion
which is properly documented at

http://aveemashfaq.blogspot.in/2014_11_01_archive.html

Please note that the thread is in descending order so, start reading from
bottommost part to the top.

> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:16:48 -0500
> From: Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
> To: ubuntu-community-team at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Developments on Ubuntu Governance
>
> On Saturday, November 22, 2014 07:29:30 PM Aveem Ashfaq wrote:
> > Dear people of the community,
> >
> > Firstly, a question. Are these mails archived manually because I was
> trying
> > to find the thread for the conversation at the time of writing and I did
> > not find Elizabeth's mail in the archive. The mail I did not find at the
> > time of writing is below.
>
> As I guess you discovered (based on the link below) it can be found:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2014-November/
>
> > Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:29:53 -0800
> >
> > > From: "Elizabeth K. Joseph" <lyz at ubuntu.com>
> > > To: ubuntu-community-team <ubuntu-community-team at lists.ubuntu.com>
> > > Subject: Re: Developments on the Ubuntu governance

> > > 2XQ at mail.gmail.com>

> That is bang on. I guess this discussion has been completed a few days
> ago.
> > I thought that there was a fair bit of conversation and we moved on
> because
> > people did not like the direction or were not convinced. There is a big
> > misinterpretation going on by me and the new people entering the mailing
> > list (i guess i am the only newbie at the moment). There should be a
> > mechanism to set expiry to the conversation so that people who propose do
> > not just assume that people walked away and move on. Or, use google plus
> > because this is just confusing.
>
> I may be wrong, but this suggests to me that you are still thinking you
> need
> approval/permission before doing stuff.  Governance in Ubuntu is not about
> providing guidance/direction/control.  It's about
> facilitating/coordinating/
> assisting.  Assuming the discussion dying out means people think you
> shouldn't
> do something is backwards.  No one told you to stop, so keep going.

You sir are a genius. Thank you for your time in understanding me and
clearing any misconceptions I had. I will be glad to oblige. But, one
question, how can I modify the community website. I know that I can create
a wiki page but how to edit community website. Or should I create a wiki
page and when it is polished enough, tell the maintainers to copy that page
into actual community page.

And thank you for your time Scott K, you gave the most relevant answers to
the unasked questions and cleared up the air.

And for people who are still confused,

Hi. I am Aveem Ashfaq. I started using ubuntu since raring. Since then, I
participated in Ubuntu google plus page helping people with their problems.
I had a little bit of contribution on askubuntu.com. In UOS-1411, in the
community session, people were speaking about deploying local communities
to do some tasks, testing etc. I got angry. What about the 180,000 or odd
people in the google plus community. I jumped into the conversation and
Daniel Holbach and David Planella suggested that since I had the best view
of what newbies know and feel comfortable with, I should start my own
project in which I make it simple for newbies to get involved into ubuntu.
And the project is "ubuntunewbie" on google plus and "
launchpad.net/bridging-gaps" So, until then being very new and clueless of
what is happening and how things work, I have been babbling and making
mistakes and learning from them. Sorry for creating a mess of the community
archives.

--
Aveem Ashfaq
B.Tech, Mechanical Engineering,