Ubuntu Governance: Reboot?

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Wed Nov 19 07:14:00 UTC 2014

On 18 November 2014 20:58, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> Reform implies a problem to be solved.  I've read both Jono's an your blog
> posts more than once, and I've yet to identify an actual problem that can be
> solved by an actual proposal.

Reform doesn't have to be about a problem. Reform can be about *opportunity*.

Look, if the current method of governance continues, everything will
be just fine. Ubuntu will continue tick over as normal: nothing is
going to collapse and fall over. As others have stated, the current
governance members are doing a fine job within the current charter and
expectations.

My point is that I think we are missing out on an opportunity to do
more, to reach more people, and to build a strong community. I am just
asking our leaders to consider proactive motivation and inspiration
within their charter to help grow out community.

> "Reform - we should have some" isn't a plan.  Starting off with alienating
> existing contributors isn't so great either.

I don't see who is alienating contributors. What I am seeing here is
the exchange of ideas to explore potentially new ways of doing things.

While I would not wish to alienate people, and I am sure Randall did
not wish to in the email you are responding to, what isn't going to
form a plan is sticking our fingers in our ears to new ideas and
opportunities for making Ubuntu better.

This feedback of mine, and this idea, might be pure bobbins, but at
least we are having a discussion and exploring it. Isn't that the
point of Ubuntu in the first place - to collaborate around new ideas?

Thanks,