Improving the design of the Volunteer Guidance Tool

Ian Weisser ian-weisser at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 19 20:28:19 UTC 2014

Formerly: Call for testing: Ubuntu community volunteer board [UPDATE 1]

On Fri Dec 19 17:58:09 UTC 2014, Svetlana Belkin wrote:

> Adding this link also:

http://blog.ubuntu-women.org/2014/08/calling-for-testers-for-orientation-quiz/

Well, this is wonderful!
Now we have two tools that we can pull the best featured from!

After looking them over a bit, the Italian solution is the hands-down
design winner. Clean, smooth transitions, lots of hard format problems
all solved. Definitely a lot to get from it.

The Italian solution also raises up front the important issue of English
language ability.

Asknot has built-in internationalization (I plan to merely hide it for
now, but not remove it. Someday community.ubuntu.com may need to be in
more languages).

The decision logic is different, an interesting comparison: The Italian
solution is prescriptive and apparently matrix-based: You only see the
result after answering four questions about skills and availability.
Asknot uses a messier (but more friendly) branching browsing method. You
see the direction you are headed at all times, and it follows interests
instead of skills.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the AskNot solution for decision logic. I
think it will appear to a wider audience, allow more team roles to be
advertised, and present a more open and welcoming message.

I'll see if I can knock together a useful sample of the best of both
soon.

Cheers,

Ian