Rethinking the Ubuntu Community in Terms of LaunchPad

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 19 00:52:50 UTC 2014

> Besides, LP plays a very important role for themselves,
> apparently, so they should try to make it better.

If any of us in the Ubuntu project find ourselves talking about what
"they" should do, rather than what "we" could do, it should cause us to
stop and re-think out position.

If you have an idea of how to make something better, you have two options:

1) You do it yourself, if you're capable. You don't need permission to
try, and if you succeed and it's good it will likely be supported by other.

2) If you can't do it yourself, you have to convince somebody else that
they want to do it. You don't do this by telling them that they should,
but by explaining in detail (the more the better) how it would be done
and how it would benefit them and others.

I would note that #2 isn't going to be less work for you than #1. Ideas
are easy and plentiful, you can't just throw one out and expect someone
to pick it up and do it. Those people all have a dozen ideas of their
own that they haven't implemented yet, so you not only have to convince
them that yours is worth working on, you have to convince them that it's
more worthwhile than the other things they have in mind. That means you
have to do a lot of planning and research ahead of time, and a lot of
organizing, promotion, testing and more during development.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com