Rethinking the Ubuntu Community in Terms of LaunchPad

Stephen Michael Kellat alpacaherder at live.com
Thu Dec 18 22:50:19 UTC 2014

Comments interlinear as that seems to be preferred right now.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:53:39 -0800
"Elizabeth K. Joseph" <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Michael Hall <mhall119 at ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
> > It's not just up to Canonical engineers, if community developers
> > can add the requested features (and test cases, documentation, other
> > requirements) then it can happen.
>
> At the last physical UDS when feature ideas were proposed, we were
> told that Launchpad is "in maintenance mode, no features are being
> accepted." Nothing has been heard from the team since.

Have we actually talked to anybody within the past 12 months about this?  With Colin Watson moving over to Launchpad Engineering perhaps there is an opportunity?  Work is being done on Launchpad to support phone so it isn't that new features are being actively blocked since the CI work builds off Launchpad.

> Upon perusal this morning, out of the the 4800+ bugs that exist for
> Launchpad[0], there are 14 bugs with patches attached[1], the oldest
> is 8 years old, the youngest is 2 years old. I know of at least one
> major project that has switched off using them because they couldn't
> get traction for getting any changes into the Launchpad blueprints
> system. Hence my skepticism.

Do we then look for the "fait accompli" that can be given as an up or down proposal for changes if somebody builds it out?  This would be moving past patches to building more code.

> At best, I think this would be a waste of energy, particularly as we
> have so many ideas floating out there[2] already, several that we can
> do something about, and no one has signed up to help with[3].

Was the hangout presented as just a meeting of "the usual suspects" to dole out assignments?  Do the work items need fuller explanation?  LoCo Council will study the issue presented although we feel it may need some clarification so we present realistic ideas.

Stephen Michael Kellat

[snip]