Mentoring Systems Within the Community

Elfy ub.untu at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 13 09:47:56 UTC 2014

On 12/12/14 22:36, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Another question related to this: does it NEED to benefit you? Is the
> building up of people not benefit enough? I mean this is what support
> folks do all the time.
Support is a bit different - you go into that *knowing* that it's a one
way deal, you just hope that eventually whoever it is you're helping one
day pays that forward.

Mentoring is more intensive - so yes, I'd say that you do need to gain
some benefit from it. I'm lucky in that with the vast majority of people
I've mentored in the past it worked out that way.

The few were it didn't are unfortunately the ones that come immediately
to mind when I think about doing so again are the ones that caused the
pain.