My view on governance and all the allied activities

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 13 07:02:22 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 08:33 PM, Aveem Ashfaq wrote:

> I am sorry that I have not been active in the past weeks when the crux
> of this issue was being spoken about. I had my end semester exams then.
> I did not watch the hangouts session. I will be watching it shortly.
> Here are my views on various things that can better Ubuntu. It was too
> long. I had to write a blog.

Thank you for putting down your thoughts, Aveem.  I read the blog post,
and I can see that you spent a lot of time on it.  I see a pattern
forming and I find it very concerning.

There are a lot of calls for action and changes, but it's clear you only
have a surface level understanding  of the way various part of Ubuntu
works.  And this is a problem, because suggestions start to look like
"I'm not a part of your community but everything you're doing is wrong
and you should take my advice instead."

I'm going to take a single example and dissect it before going a little
broader.  I want you to know that I'm choosing a single topic to go very
in depth on because I want to examine of the assumptions behind your
point.  I'm not attacking you but I want to take a deep look to
illustrate why it's important to understand both sides of a topic that
you dismiss pretty quickly.

Declining to participate on the mailing list and trying to take
discussion to your blog is one example.  Mailing lists are time-proven
methods of communicating with other people.  Here are some advantages of
mailing lists:

* Anyone can join a list on a specific topic and become involved.
* Ubuntu mailing lists are public and all messages are archived and
available online.
* These archives are searchable and show up in Google results.
* All replies are very clearly threaded and the relationship to other
posts are clear.
* Everyone has an email client and is automatically notified of new
messages in one place without having to remember to check some random
website and try to remember the last message he read.
* At any time for the rest of human existence, someone can return to the
mailing list archives in one place and see what discussion occurred and
when.  It's not scattered over hundreds of undocumented web pages and blogs.

Mailing lists also predate web forums by what I assume is 3 decades, but
in any case, web-based message boards have only been around for about 19
or 20 years and I still dislike them.

There are two problems.  One is that there is a massive amount of
collaboration and development going on, and you're chastising us because
it's not happening where you want.  But it's working fantastically for
those who are doing a lot of the work presently.

The other problem is that the way things "have always been done" might
be able to be improved in some cases, or made more accessible.  But
that's not going to happen by throwing existing infrastructure out.

I'm also concerned that you identify only the three groups to consider:

1) People who have never used Ubuntu or heard of it.
2) People who are functionally expert Ubuntu users.
3) Programmers.

First of all, there is no reason to expect that most users should
contribute.  Many are happy to use computers as tools, and that's fine.
  But considering only these three categories of users leaves out novice
and intermediate users, plus every contributor who isn't programming.
It's a huge oversight, and disenfranchises a lot of contributors.

You keep suggesting sweeping changes across the entire project, but
you're not really identifying actual problems, or explaining *why* they
are problems, and often are not identifying solutions or explaining why
they are better solutions than what's out there.  I think it would
probably be a lot more effective if you picked some small part or aspect
of the Ubuntu community you want to change and spend some time getting
to know how it *really* works.  It's good for us to know how things
appear to new users but that's not always enough to change things.

Then, remembering how things appeared and what the challenges were to a
newcomer, and understanding how things are actually working right now
for hundreds of contributors, you can start to suggest changes that are
both founded in how the project really works and that will introduce new
users and familiarize themselves with how contribution works.  If no one
uses web forums to collaborate, then building a web forum won't make
collaboration suddenly happen there.  It'll just give interested new
users a place to gather that is a ghost town.

For example, Ubuntu has web forums, and we also have a Discourse forum.
  Why aren't you leading any efforts there instead of proposing new
resources?  Because you're not familiar with the existing ones, I imagine.

So that's just taking one of your points (mailing lists are stupid) and
saying that no, they're a very practical technology that had a lot of
very solid features that led to their being chosen.

And while you are upset about multiple websites, a single Ubuntu One
account logs you into the Ubuntu Forums, Launchpad, and Ask Ubuntu.  The
Google+ communities are completely unofficial and used more for
announcements.  It's the IRC channels and mailing lists which are the
hotbeds of activity.

To sum up, the reason that changes are complicated is that Linux
development stretches back to 1991, GNU userspace development stretches
back to 1984, and that's rooted in computer science going back to the
mid 60s.  It can be quite complex, and this is not a failing of Ubuntu
contributors.  It's a product of working on an incredibly sophisticated
operating system.

And I am excited that you are interested in helping us to make things
easier for new users to approach.  I hope that as you gain experience
working with other collaborators that you're able to help shine a light
on areas that can be improved.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/