Re-thinking our engineering hangouts

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 10 19:10:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Alan Pope <alan.pope at canonical.com> wrote:
> * We should make shorter, focussed videos. e.g. I do a core apps video
> every week, Will does a desktop one, Mike does a community one. Not
> all at the same time, not all together, and not an hour long. Each
> person does a 10 min video about their subject.

+1. We tend to make instructional videos so mine are longer, but
adding short snippet ones would be useful.

> * Each video is posted to a blog style posting at ubuntuonair to
> replace the static home page. It's a wordpress site so very easy and
> familiar for any participant to create a post, embed a video and paste
> in a few lines summarising. Posts should have a tag such as coreapps,
> desktop, community etc. This makes it easy for external people to link
> to specific posts, subscribe (via RSS) to one 'channel' (e.g. 'I am
> only interested in cloud updates, give me Jorge in my face every
> week').

This seems like the most bang for the buck. Right now I've been doing
it by hand and it sucks:

- https://juju.ubuntu.com/resources/videos/

So on the new website it's changing to, you guessed it, a page
generated by wordpress where I just paste in the URL and add tags.
It's so nice. This will make ubuntuonair nicer too because it will
look like an activity stream that you can explore instead of one big
thumbnail of whoever's unlucky enough at that moment.

I would also say (to raise the attention of these developer updates)
that we should consider adding the short videos to planet.ubuntu.com
and autopost on discourse and investigating doing the same on the G+
community and perhaps Facebook for the big ones. Part of the reason we
do them is to make sure people can understand what's going on around
the project when they might not have the time to dig deep themselves.

> * We stop using the UbuntuOnAir youtube account for these individual
> videos, but let each person create the video hangout from their own
> Canonical or personal YouTube account and just link to it in the
> wordpress post on the site. That way we don't have to share
> UbuntuOnAir youtube creds around, people just need an account to post
> on the wordpress site.

I've done both and hate both so +0 on whatever you decide. I have a
work google account. A personal google account. An Ubuntu Cloud google
account. An Ubuntu (non cloud!) google account. I share similar
accounts. I don't really care where on YT it exists as long as people
can get to it.