Gamerification in the Community

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 9 21:25:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Jono Bacon <jono at jonobacon.org> wrote:

> On 9 December 2014 at 11:42, Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are lots of upstream developers that do not use Ubuntu or Linux for
> > that matter that are pretty essential to Ubuntu's existence. Some of
> those
> > contributions upstream are probably even more essential then some
> > contributions that happen downstream.
>
> I see your point, but I don't consider those to be people in the
> "Ubuntu" community. Do they bring value to Ubuntu, of course, but are
> they part of our community? Not really, they are part of their own
> upstream community.
>
> Upstreams are the critical ingredients in Ubuntu, but when we are
> discussing about Ubuntu community growth and development, I am
> thinking within the parameters of people who engage directly in
> Ubuntu, it's flavors, or our community (e.g. LoCo Teams).
>
>    Jono

I disagree I think there is a degree of cross pollination in Open Source
where contributors can be part of many communities but not really has to
care about the overall goal of any one of the projects they contribute to.
The motivations of contributing to projects and communities vary from
person to person.

Also FWIW Kubuntu's Project Lead seems to think Kubuntu is made upstream
from Ubuntu:
https://blogs.kde.org/2013/03/06/ubuntu-community-community