LaunchPad Team for the Community Team?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Dec 9 05:00:02 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, December 09, 2014 15:47:54 Ali/amjjawad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Svetlana Belkin <belkinsa at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On 12/08/2014 09:28 PM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:
> >> The blueprints part. I think that is the missing information on this
> >> thread.
> >
> > Yup, I think we do need them for what we are talking about.
>
> I could be wrong but IMHO, blueprints are more useful for projects:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntugnome-brainstorming/+specs?show=all
>
> For what we're doing right now, perhaps these threads are enough?!
>
> > --
> > Svetlana Belkin
> > A.K.A: belkinsa
> > User Wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/belkinsa
> >
> > --
>
> I am not against these threads nor blueprints. Whatever will make us see
> some real progress and result, I'm more than happy to take that route :)

The common problem with blueprints, in my experience, is that people see them
as a vehicle to get other people to do work and outside the Canonical
management structure as applied to Canonical (or similarly other companies
paying people to work on Ubuntu) they aren't.  What than can be, is a great
way for a group of people to agree on what they want to work on together.

Progress will coalesce around people who are willing to invest effort in doing
stuff.  If issues keep recurring because no one is doing the work, then it's
probably not worth discussing at UOS.

Back when we had an actual UDS, Kubuntu used to have a session on the backlog
of work from previous cycles and try to decide what might be realistically
taken on in the current cycle.  Instead of investing a lot of time at UOS in
rehashing old discussions, make a list of stuff that has been previously agreed
and see if anyone will work on it.  If there are no volunteers, just move one.

Scott K