Lack of Connection Between Canonical and the Community

Craig Maloney craig at decafbad.net
Mon Dec 8 18:42:12 UTC 2014

* Michael Hall (mhall119 at ubuntu.com) wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by this part. Canonical doesn't "allow" participation
> in local event, you don't need permission from us to host or attend
> them. Canonical can and does provide resources for them, and if asked we
> (Community Team specifically) help help with the organization and
> arrangements for them. But we're not a gatekeeper, there's nothing
> stopping local events from being run however they want.

I think you misunderstand my point. I'm not saying that Canonical has
any direct impact on our events. What I'm saying is because we have
folks that work for Canonical they tend to have a lot of things
happening that either keep folks busy so their loco participation drops
off, or they're out-of-town and can't participate.

I'm not blaming Canonical for any of this; folks get busy and trips
happen. I'm pointing out something that I've noticed. Your experience
may be radically different.

(And this is in no way a slight to the folks in our Loco that are
Canonical employees. You're all really good people; we just miss you
when you get busy with work. ;) )

--
  Craig Maloney  (craig at decafbad.net)        http://decafbad.net
    "Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big,