Lack of Connection Between Canonical and the Community

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Dec 8 18:40:38 UTC 2014

On Monday, December 08, 2014 01:16:33 PM Michael Hall wrote:
> On 12/08/2014 01:03 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > The fact that it looks like X/Wayland will be supportable along with Mir
> > gives me hope to continue to be able to run it on the desktop.  If that
> > ever turns out not to be true, then I'll be gone entirely.  So, it is
> > very accurate to say that my continued participation in the project
> > relies on my continued ability to avoid using Canonical unique software.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> Can you clarify this a little, I can't tell if you mean the specific
> software that Canonical has already developed (Mir, Unity, etc) or any
> software that is developed by Canonical?

I don't use Unity and never have.  I've used KDE/Plasma since about 2005 and
on Kubuntu since 2006.

The upstream KDE community have made it clear that unless Mir gets broader
adoption than in a single Linux distribution (which pretty clearly isn't
happening for a variety of reasons that it's probably not worth the time to
debate), Mir won't be supported in Plasma.  Plasma will work with X and
Wayland.

As long as these alternates to Mir continue to be well supported, then Kubuntu
as we know it is possible, so my concern is specifically with Mir in this case.
If Plasma is no longer supportable in Ubuntu, then I'll switch somewhere it
is.

Does that clear it up?

Scott K