Lack of Connection Between Canonical and the Community

José Antonio Rey jose at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 8 06:29:07 UTC 2014

On 12/08/2014 01:23 AM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> [...]
>

> I would say that is a fair assessment but overall there is a downtrend
> so even if new contributors were attracted to Ubuntu Phone and Cloud
> which I believe is indeed the case they have not outnumbered the amount
> that have disappeared at least that's what Launchpad shows and what UDS
> participation numbers show.
>

>     Like anything, there are many different factors that have caused us to
>     get to the position we are in today. For us to say X is the problem
>     and Y or Z are definitely not is probably naive: there are hundreds of
>     factors in place here.
>

>     The basic premise of my blog post, follow-up blog post, follow-up
>     discussion, and participation in the CC meeting is that there is a
>     huge amount of untapped potential in Ubuntu. I believe we should
>     codify examples of that (my so called 'impact constitution' that I
>     suggested), and work with our leaders in the community (whether
>     formalized such as the CC and TB, or informal such as many of the
>     folks on Planet Ubuntu) to inspire a new generation to participate in
>     Ubuntu.
>
> That is well and all but I think just moving forward on those things
> without trying to tackle some of the other factors and I do not just
> mean decisions by Canonical which may have made some depart but lack of
> things like recognition and preventing contributor fatigue... I think
> absent addressing some of those other factors of contributor shedding
> that the upward trend could happen but would only be temporary.
>

>     Sadly, in much of this discussion some people have merely wanted to
>     keep harping on issues of the past as opposed to providing
>     constructive learnings from those lessons and proposing new and fresh
>     ideas. I believe this is a waste of time and destructive.
>
>     As such, I want to suggest a new rule for our discussions moving
>     forward. :-)
>
>     Anyone who wants to cite problems of the past has to now (a) identify
>     the pragmatic un-emotional lessons from those problems that we can
>     learn from, and (b) propose fresh ideas for progress and improvements
>     that learn from those lessons and make Ubuntu better.
>
>     Now, let's be practical. Canonical is not going. Physical UDSs are
>     probably not coming back. Let's work within the understanding of our
>     culture today and provide practical, realistic suggestions for
>     improvements and refinements. If some of that feedback is focused on
>     Canonical, that is great. I can 100% guarantee you that a practical,
>     un-emotional, but frank suggestion directed at Canonical for an
>     improvement in their stewardship of the project will be much better
>     received than a ranty "you screwed this up in the past!!1!".
>

>     I proposed five practical things we can do to help our community
>     thrive. What five practical suggestions do you all have? I would love
>     to hear them!
>
>     Thanks,
>

> Five Practical things to help Ubuntu thrive:

Sustained and substantial contributions are already recognized with
Ubuntu Membership, which offers you various perks as well as a
certificate you can frame.

> - Reduce Contributor Churn through Community Building

Could you please clarify?

> - Revisit Physical Events (doesn't have to be UDS but if Debian can pull
> off Debconf then Ubuntu can pull off something so seems practical)

There are UbuCons around the world, happening all around the year, if
that is what you are meaning.

> - Ask Mark, Jane and other key people to offer weekly Community
> Townhalls to discuss roadmap

In the Classroom Team we try to get an Ask Mark! every Open Week. And
Mark is always willing to do it as long as it fits his schedule. Last
time we asked a bit late and didn't get to make it since he was going to
be on a plane.

> - Create a Community Newsletter that specifically focuses on the Ubuntu
> Community (see Mozilla's about:community newsletter)

We have the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, which is released every Monday
with the help of community members. And we consider The Planet our most
important section, since it holds the essence of the community.

--
José Antonio Rey