Lack of Connection Between Canonical and the Community

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 8 04:07:47 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM, cprofitt <cprofitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-12-07 at 18:47 -0500, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > As the title of the thread states, I think the problem is really this
> > along with lack of resources.  Also, by Community, I mean the main
> > flavor's, not the others- you guys are more dependent of the upsteam
> > communities.
> >
> > I think if we do fix this age old problem, because it is one, I think we
> > could solve the resources problem, as in get more ACTIVE people in.
> >
> > I really can't think of solutions yet, expect the Ubuntu Foundation one
> > (which to me after reading Lyz's reply is the Community funding), so I'm
> > starting the discussion for (well) the discussion of my thoughts on the
> > issue and for solutions.
>
> When I look at these issues I try to see Canonical as 'a contributor'
> more than 'a company'. Albeit, a very wealthy and influential
> contributor that has a great deal of control over 'Ubuntu'.
>
> Charles

Charles,

That is right but one things that not been answered and I do not think
there is consensus on is how much control does the community possess over
Ubuntu? I think the control it has is very small.

Good post on commercial interests in open source projects and community by
Automattic CEO Matt Mullenwag:
http://ma.tt/2010/09/wordpress-trademark/

TL;DR Commercial interests will always trump community and open source
project ideals when the corporation has total control.

Seriously though I say this to you all because I care... You all need to
start standing up for the community and its values and not let commercial
interests be the only thing Ubuntu is about anymore. You do have a voice
and we may not always agree but think about it and reflect back.

We lost 31 Ubuntu Members in the last 12 months and UDS participation is
down over a few UDSes and LoCo's active are down over the last couple
years. Why do you think this is? Do you really think its lack of
leadership? Lack of innovation? I think it has nothing to do with those
things.