Ubuntu Foundation

Svetlana Belkin belkinsa at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 7 13:07:21 UTC 2014

On 12/07/2014 07:51 AM, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> All,
>
> As Benjamin Kerensa said in his latest blog post [1],
>
> "Finally, I think an Ubuntu Foundation[2] is still a great idea and
> could create some harmony between Canonical’s commercial interests and
> the community interests of the project. Projects that have had companies
> controlling the project have never had great success at sustaining a
> community because the commercial interests always win at the end of the
> day.
>
> Something needs to be done otherwise there will be a continued decline
> in participation in Ubuntu. Let me say the only reason Ubuntu Membership
> has not had the same downtrend as UDS participation and governance
> participation is because you do not need to be re-vetted to be an Ubuntu
> Member. We have folks who are Ubuntu members who have not been on IRC,
> Mailing List or anywhere in the project in years but are still members.
> The reality is that if we just looked at contributions, the actual
> amount of contributors today is far less than the member rolls represent".
>
> He may be right about having some foundation to help to solve the
> problem for the reason that he started.
>
> Discuss.
>
> [1] http://benjaminkerensa.com/2014/12/06/chasing-the-wrong-problems
> [2] http://benjaminkerensa.com/2013/11/09/ubuntu-foundation

One other thing to add, as an afterthought: the reason that I think he
may be right here is because there truly either is there is a very weak
connection or no connection between Canonical and the Community.  If I
recall correctly, we lost a bunch of Ubuntu Members because of this
about this time last year.
--
Svetlana Belkin
A.K.A: belkinsa