Ubuntu Foundation

Svetlana Belkin belkinsa at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 7 12:51:38 UTC 2014

All,

As Benjamin Kerensa said in his latest blog post [1],

"Finally, I think an Ubuntu Foundation[2] is still a great idea and
could create some harmony between Canonical’s commercial interests and
the community interests of the project. Projects that have had companies
controlling the project have never had great success at sustaining a
community because the commercial interests always win at the end of the day.

Something needs to be done otherwise there will be a continued decline
in participation in Ubuntu. Let me say the only reason Ubuntu Membership
has not had the same downtrend as UDS participation and governance
participation is because you do not need to be re-vetted to be an Ubuntu
Member. We have folks who are Ubuntu members who have not been on IRC,
Mailing List or anywhere in the project in years but are still members.
The reality is that if we just looked at contributions, the actual
amount of contributors today is far less than the member rolls represent".

He may be right about having some foundation to help to solve the
problem for the reason that he started.

Discuss.

[1] http://benjaminkerensa.com/2014/12/06/chasing-the-wrong-problems
[2] http://benjaminkerensa.com/2013/11/09/ubuntu-foundation