[ Ubuntu-cm ] CREATING A ROADMAP FOR 2010

joben bison jobenbissong at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 14:08:00 GMT 2009

Hi guys,

was making some research on our plan of action for 2010 and fell on a pretty
cool article in one of the ubuntu blogs.
below I shall give a brief summary on what I extracted and propose that we
build our roadmap from the below template
which I found to be rich and resourceful for a young and still developing
LoCo Team as ours.

Because of time constraints it shall be in English but for those amongst us
who can't understand, please use the google translation tool
to ease your understanding:

"Something I would like us to work towards in the Ubuntu community is
encouraging a culture of best-practise in how we plan our work and
coordinate our awesome team to work together on projects. I believe this
kind of coordination can help our teams increase the opportunity for success
in their work, feel more empowered and productive and provide greater
insight to people outside those teams on what the team is doing.

  An effective way of doing this is to build a *Roadmap* for each cycle.
This provides an opportunity to capture a set of goals the team will work
together to achieve in each six-month period. This article outlines how to
build such a Roadmap.

  Creating Your Roadmap

Roadmaps actually possess many benefits:

   *Direction* – one of the biggest complaints teams often report is a *lack
   of direction*. If a team gets into the habit of creating a roadmap at the
   beginning of a cycle, it gives the team a sense of focus and direction for
   the coming cycle.

   *Documented commitments are more effective* – a common rule in Project
   Management training is that actions assigned to people in a shared document
   are more effective than ad-hoc or private commitments. By documenting who
   will work on what in a cycle and putting their name next to an action can
   help seal a sense of accountability for their contributions to the project.

   *Feeling of success* – regularly revisiting a roadmap and checking off
   items that have been completed can develop a strong feeling of progress and
   success. It makes a team feel productive.

This is how it works:
Step 1: Decide what your team wants to do

The first step is to open up a discussion with your team to talk about
things that the team would like to do. As an example, a LoCo Team may want
to organize a booth at a given conference or work together on marketing
materials, a documentation team may want to work together on a book or
guide, a software team may want to work together towards a first release,
and a translations team may want to work together on documentation to help
translate a particular language and organize translations events and

The most effective of way of having this conversation is to produce a wiki
page in which people can jot down their ideas and this can form the basis of
converting key popular ideas in the team into roadmap items. Keep the
discussion focused on the next cycle *(which lasts six months)*. You should
make sure you have these discussions out in the open in your team
communication channels, be it mailing lists, IRC channels or otherwise.

It is important to note that *not every contribution has to be on the
roadmap*. Roadmaps are great for larger projects and goals.
Step 2: Create your roadmap document

To make things as simple as possible, I have created a roadmap template and
place to store roadmaps. This is how it works:

   Go to *http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Roadmaps/Lucid* and create a page in that
   namespace that reflects your team (e.g.
   http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Roadmaps/Lucid/ExampleTeam). Be sure to add a link
   to your new page on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Roadmaps/Lucid by using this
   markup: [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Roadmaps/Lucid/ExampleTeam|ExampleTeam]]

   Open up a new browser tab and go and view *the roadmap
   *. Click on *Edit* and copy the content from the template into your new
   team page that you created in the previous step.

You are now ready to start building the roadmap.
Step 3: Capturing projects in your roadmap

The roadmap is broken into a set of sections, each of which points to a
particular goal you want to achieve. Each goal then has an *Objective* block
which provides a task that needs to be completed to achieve part of the
goal. Each goal can have *many objectives*.

The *Objective* block is structured like this:

   *OBJECTIVE*: An Objective is a goal that you want to achieve. Summarize
   your objective here in one sentence (e.g. ‘*Exhibit Ubuntu at '...*‘ and
   ‘*Create Marketing Materials*‘).

   *SUCCESS CRITERIA*: This is a statement that can be clearly read to
   determine success on the above *Objective*. This needs to be as clear as
   possible and not vague: it will indicate if you achieved the
*Objective*(e.g. ‘
   *A successful exhibition at 'some event*‘*,create banner ads and
   wallpaper provided for LoCo Teams*‘).

   *ACTIONS*: This is a set of steps that need to be executed to achieve the
   *Objective*. It is recommended that if someone volunteers to commit to
   delivering on an action, you put it in brackets (e.g. *Print out LoCo
   logo on a banner*). There can be multiple actions for each Objective.

   *BLUEPRINT*: If a Launchpad Blueprint applies to this Objective, link it
   here (*optional*).

   *DRIVER*: If someone is coordinating this objective and helping those
   involved to deliver on their actions, list that person here (*optional*).

The aim here is to try and capture what your team wants to do and who will
be contributing to the goal. Let’s look at an example of organizing an

   *OBJECTIVE*: Exhibit Ubuntu at 'some event' 2010

   *SUCCESS CRITERIA*: A successful Ubuntu exhibition complete with
   demonstrations and materials.

      Confirm booth space with 'some event' organizers (name of person in
      charge of the project)

      File a request for CDs from ShipIt (name of person in charge of the

      Develop artwork for main banner sign, staff badges, flyers (name of
      person in charge of the project)

      Provide demonstration laptops (2 x laptops) (names of persons in
      charge of the project)

      Prepare demonstration speaking script (name of person in charge of the

      Promote our presence on 'some event' forums, Planet Ubuntu and
      Magazines (name of person in charge of the project)

   *DRIVER*: name of person in charge of the project

The goal of a roadmap is to capture as many of these projects and apply the
same structure that not only communicates what needs to be done, but also
who has volunteered to work on which actions."

Hope this will be resourceful and LETS GET TO WORK...NOW!

Systems and Network Engineer
VSAT Installer (GVF)
Tel. (+237) 99 74 18 88