[ubuntu-cloud] [URGENT] AWS Quickstart Image issue

Ben Howard ben.howard at canonical.com
Wed Jul 23 23:57:35 UTC 2014

HI Davey,

Thank you for your interest in this issue. I've responded inline.

~Ben

On 07/23/2014 05:34 PM, Dave Walker wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2014 22:18, "Ben Howard" <ben.howard at canonical.com
> <mailto:ben.howard at canonical.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 2014-07-23, Canonical deregistered the Quickstart AMI’s for Ubuntu
> > 14.04 LTS images in all regions. Canonical identified that the SSD
> > labeled (GP2 volumes) were incorrectly registered -- and advertised with
> > the enhanced capabilities. These SSD AMI’s were deregistered and
> > replaced with new images.
> >
> > For a brief period, the Quickstart images were unavailable for Launch.
> > AWS and Canonical worked together to provide new images. The pages at
> > [1] and [2] have been updated with the new image meta-data.
> >
> > Canonical regrets the problems that this caused and has taken steps to
> > prevent this sort of action from happening again.
> >
> > [1] https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases
> > [2] https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/locator/ec2
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> Please can you provide more detail on what the actual issue was, as
> the announcement seems pretty high level.
>
> In particular:
> - How did the issue slip past Jenkins testing?

The new SSD/GP2 EBS volume type is a registration option. The version of
the the ec2-api-tools used indicated success.

> - How long were bad images published for?

The images were published starting June 17th. Images for the latest
releases were retroactively published for the latest released versions
of Ubuntu.

> - How was the issue caught/identified?

A community member reported the issue via the
ubuntu-cloud at lists.ubuntu.com email list on July 11th.

> - What was the resolution?

The resolution was to delete the problematic images and re-register
them. Because AWS had switched the EBS volumes on the Quickstart to the
new SSD volume type, there was a brief outage on the AWS Quickstart.

> - What (detail) has been done to stop issues like this happening again?

We are taking a two fold approach to this problem. 1) We are
implementing volume testing to identify that the specially flagged
volumes are correctly registered to prevent bad registrations from going
out; and 2) implementing a new policies regarding the removal of
published images.

--

Ben Howard
ben.howard at canonical.com