[ubuntu-cloud] Question about cloud archive bugs?

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 14 09:46:27 UTC 2013

Hi Matt

On 08/01/13 21:42, Matt Joyce wrote:
> I have some bugs entered into the cloud archive launchpad page
> here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-archive
>
> They haven't seen any activity at all yet, and it's been a while.

First of all - thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.  I've had a
catchup on cloud-archive bugs this morning :-).

> First question.  Is this the right place for these bugs?

It is but to answer this question in full I need to explain how
packages get into the cloud-archive.  The cloud-archive in effect
contains a backport of Openstack (+ related packages) from the Ubuntu
release associated with the Openstack release for Ubuntu 12.04.

   Folsom CA -> Derives from Quantal
   Grizzly CA -> Derives from Raring

Any changes to the Folsom cloud-archive packages would normally go
through a Ubuntu SRU for Quantal; once the updates are in
quantal-proposed they also get accepted as backports into the
precise-proposed/folsom pocket in the cloud archive so they can be
tested on Ubuntu 12.04 as well.

As a result it would be helpful if you could also raise bug tasks for
the associated packages in Ubuntu as well as a general bug against the
ubuntu-cloud-archive project. This makes it easier to track changes
through the Ubuntu development release/stable releases into the
cloud-archive.

I took a look through some of the bugs you raised; some are more
relevant for the Ubuntu development release only as they relate to
minor changes to packaging rather than actual issues end users would
experience so would not go through the SRU process:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-archive/+bug/1087089
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-archive/+bug/1087091
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-archive/+bug/1087096

Any issue that effects the use of packages from the cloud archive
needs to be tracked so the ubuntu-cloud-archive bug task is critical.

> Second question.  Do you guys need some help handling this stuff?
> I'd be glad to give you some of my cycles.

Help always appreciated; keep raising bugs; the more detail the
better.  Help with verification of stable release updates for Folsom
would also be much appreciated.

You may find
http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ubuntu-server/cloud-archive/
useful for checking out what versions are currently working through
the SRU process to the cloud archive.

Please feel free to ping adam_g, zul of myself (jamespage) in
#ubuntu-server on freenode IRC.

Cheers

James

- --