[ubuntu-cloud] Cloud Image UDS-R Proposal: Automatic Releases

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 10 14:38:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012, Marcos Barbosa wrote:

> I think this is a great idea. But exists a very efficient do create
> AMI images automagically?

The ubuntu images are produced on a daily basis automatically.  Publishing
is done for
 * 2 arches (i386, amd64)
 * 6 releases (hardy, lucid, natty, oneiric, precise, quantal)
   stable releases are done 2x weekly, and development release daily.
 * 2 instance-root types (ebs, instance-store) + HVM in 2 regions.

Additionally, for many of the releases, we publish "desktop" builds,
almost doubling 2*2*6.

In the month of September, Ubuntu images represented 3089 new ami ids.

The software that does that is largely described and available at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuCloud/Images/Publishing . I say "largely"
because it is a bit out of date.

Additionally, we're testing those daily builds (admittedly its largely
sniff test only) with continuous integration.  The results of which are
available for public view at
https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/view/ec2%20AMI%20Testing/view/Overview/

As you can see, there is work to do.  But the simple answer to your
question is definitely "yes".