[ubuntu-cloud] [UDS] Ubuntu Cloud Images Round-table Pre-discussion

Ben Howard ben.howard at canonical.com
Wed May 2 17:43:11 UTC 2012

At UDS, we will holding a Ubuntu Cloud Image Round-table to discuss the
state of the Cloud Images. In the interest of making this a productive
session, I wanted to start an email discussion before UDS.
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-q-cloud-images)

* Addition of an SSH recovery Shell: Depending on the virtualization
solution (i.e. EC2 EBS versus EC2 Instance-store versus OpenStack), the
ability to recover from file system corruption is limited or
non-existent. In order to support users across different virtualization
solutions, it is proposed to introduce a SSH recovery method to assist
users in recovering from file-system corruption or missing disks.

  Proposal:
    1. On failure of mount-all or on cloud-init failure to
	mount all disks,a special SSH-session would be launched
    2. Users would be forced into a screen session with an error
	message.
    3. Users would need to reboot.

* Dynamic multiple LOCALE support: While English is the language of
Ubuntu development, the use of Ubuntu is global. Further many Ubuntu
users have default locale settings that are different. When SSH'ing into
a Ubuntu Cloud Image, some software may fail to work properly with
invalid locale settings set by SSH.

    Proposal: Develop a method of compiling new locales based on
              SSH LC_* and LANG settings sent by SSH client.

* Improving methods for users to find official EC2 AMI ids: Over the
last couple of months we have made significant progress in developing
new ways for users to discover the official EC2 AMI ids. Between the AWS
Quickstart, AWS Marketplace (free tier and paid support), cloud-utils
(which provides ubuntu-cloudimg-query), cloud-images.ubuntu.com (/query
and /query2) and cloud.ubuntu.com/ami, there are several official ways
to find the images.

    Discussion: What are the deficiencies in the current methods of
                finding images and how could we make finding the
                official AMI's easier?

Thanks,
Ben

--